【My first impression of Yale】

        My first impression of Yale was “Friendly” In my opinion, it’s an experience we can't have in Japan. I have met many occasions feeling ‘friendly’, although I've only been in the US for three days. 





The first scene was when I arrived at the Yale check-in center. While one staff member was showing me how to check in, the others were chatting over eating apples or granola bars! The informal atmosphere relieved me, as I was nervous about living abroad for the first time outside of travel.


After that, most happened in the dining room. On the first day, I couldn’t find where the dining room is and when I asked a girl nearby, she answered that “we're just heading to the dining room too, so follow us!” as a result we ate together.

Second, happened last night. While we ate dinner at the dining, two girls came to sit next to us. Just before we were kicked out of the dining room at 7:30, we spoke with them, just to introduce ourselves. From there, our conversation grew and they told me that we could study in the seminar room. we then worked on our assignments while sharing a mutually focused space. Thanks to this, I was able to finish my assignment without getting sleepy.

 




I have never expected that I could talk or communicate with people who isn’t classmate or roommate, since even in Japan, I would not talk to someone who is not my classmate or roommate, or who happens to be sitting next to me.


           Since I’m not confident with my English, I know I have to be proactive and talk to them myself, but it's not easy. But many people ask me for a name or some personal information, and they make an opportunity to communicate with me it’s really helpful for me.


Comments

  1. I am delighted that you are feeling so welcomed by the Yale community, and equally thrilled that you are joining in their conversations and fully accepting their help and guidance. Welcome to Yale, Kei!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

【Reaction to chapter 2】

【Reaction to Chapter 1】