【Reaction to chapter 2】




           What struck me most when I read Chapter 2 was that she doesn't look only 3 years old, as the nurse and doctor in the story also said “You are so smart and could read as well as a six years old.” Making a hotdog herself, not just crying out but shrieking “help me” when she suffered a burn was a sentent that showed she was independent. Of course she is excellent, but it is also true that she is placed in an environment where she has to be. In addition to this, her mother always says you're mature for your age. When I read this sentence, I recognize it as a parental ego, not as a way to praise and develop the child at all. If parents tell their daughters it, they can make their children think that the average 3 year old is supposed to make her own food, and it is the mother less task at home for her to do.

It’s just reaction, but as I mentioned in my reaction paper for Chapter 1, I found the way the footsteps were represented in this story interesting. By describing the footsteps in detail, the reader can read how quiet the space is.

Comments

  1. Very interesting reaction - I am tantalized with your 'parental ego' observation and I hope I see this again in your writing....if it wuits your purposes.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

【Reaction to Chapter 1】

【My first impression of Yale】